So much of the strength of the Honors Program comes from the students who make it up, students who encourage and motivate each other in their pursuits. This semester, we have the privilege of welcoming seven new students to the Honors community. To help us all get to know one another, we asked them to answer the following questions about themselves:
1. What is your intended major?
2. What is your graduation date?
3. What is your favorite book?
4. Who would you most like to meet or who do you consider the most influential person to you?
5. What is your favorite quote?
Here is what they had to say:
- My intended major is Social Work, with minors in Psychology and possibly Accounting. 2. May 2018! I’m an even!
- That’s hard. I love “Blue Like Jazz” by Donald Miller because his thoughts on faith and relationships are so simple but deep and beautiful. However, I’ve been in love with “Gone With the Wind” by Margaret Mitchell since middle school. I read the book before I saw the movie. 🙂
- My parents, of course, are huge role models for me. Aside from them, my youth pastor/pastor’s wife has had the biggest influence on who I’m becoming. She has showed me what living out my faith really looks like and what truly loving others means. I go to her for advice on almost everything.
- “No one has ever become poor by giving.” -Anne Frank
- I am majoring in biology.
- I plan to graduate in May of 2018.
- My favorite books right now are the Divergent series, but it changes as I read.
- I would like to meet Louis Zamperini if he was still living, and the most influential person to me would either me my dad or my brother.
- “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -Mahatma Gandhi
- Mass Communications and International Studies
- The Elegance of a Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery
- Isabelle Allende. a Chilean-American writer.
- “It’s a magical world, Hobbes, ol’ buddy… Let’s go exploring!” – Calvin and Hobbes (Bill Watterson)
- May 2018.
- The Fault In Our Stars.
- I would love to meet this very talented Bollywood actor named Shahid Kapoor.
- “A woman knows best by intuition, or instinct, what is best for herself.” Marilyn Monroe.
- I am double majoring in Environmental Sustainability and Biology.
- My anticipated graduation date is May 2018.
- My favorite book is The Class, Erich Segal…..I love reading historical fiction and poetry.
- I dream of one day being able to meet the former Kenyan anti-Corruption Commission Director, Dr. Patrick Lumumba since his life has been an inspiration and a light to mine. I love great speakers and he is the greatest I know.
- My favorite quote is “The rarest and most beautiful flowers are those that bloom in adversity”. I don’t remember where I picked it up but it gives my feet and heart the strength they need for every day.
- Public Health and Biology
2. Spring 2017
3. 1984 by George Orwell
4. William Shakespeare & Charles Darwin
5. “Imagination is more important than knowledge.” -Einstein
As you see them around campus, please take a moment to welcome these great students to Honors!