Welcome back to Meredith! In January, we accepted five students into our Honors program. Learn a little more about them by reading their answers to the following questions, and congratulate them the next time you see them!
1.) Name and Class Affiliation
2.) What is your major or intended major?
3.) If you could meet one author and one actor, who would you meet?
4.) Who is someone that has inspired you? How has he or she inspired you?
5.) What is your favorite motivational quote?
6.) What are you looking forward to experiencing most as a student in the Honors program?
- Name: Jessica Lane, Class: 2019
- Major: Exercise and Sport Science with a focus in Health and Wellness
- If I could meet an author, I would want to meet Jeannette Walls. If I could meet an actor, I would want to meet Leonardo Dicaprio.
- My dad is my inspiration because he has worked so hard for many years to achieve his dream of creating his own company.
- “When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful” – Eric Thomas
- I am looking forward to connecting with members in the Honors Program, and I am eager to participate in advanced research in my field of study.
- Catherine Jones, Class of 2019
- I am a Computer Science major, and I plan on pursuing a minor in both Graphic Design and Environmental Sustainability. Once I graduate, I plan to go to graduate school for either Artificial Intelligence or Game Development.
- If he were still alive, J.R.R Tolkein. I am no Lord of the Rings buff whatsoever, but I still find it very impressive that he was able to create functioning fictional languages. If I could meet any actor, I would meet Benedict Cumberbatch. Sherlock is my life.
- My best friend, a current NC State student, has inspired me. She has inspired me to do a lot in my life, but the one of the more inspiring things she’s done is help me create a tentative ten-year plan. She saw that I was lost and didn’t know even what I wanted to major in, so she sat me down and helped me figure out which things I was interested in (Computer Science, art, and the environment) and helped me figure out how to establish and reach my goals.
- “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” – Dr. Seuss
- I personally can’t wait to do the Honors Thesis when I am a Senior. I have so many ideas for what I want to do because I absolutely love research. I also am excited for the fall honors trip next semester, where I can meet a lot of other honors students all at once!
- Katherine Grayson, Class of 2017 or 2018
- No authors or actors come to mind as my top choices. I’d honestly prefer to meet a randomly chosen author and actor and see which set I get. Things would be much more interesting that way.
- My father has always inspired me. Even when he was under pressure, he was the picture of relaxation. He worked a retail job for almost forty years and he really did love it. He was intelligent and talented enough to have practically any job he wanted, but he liked retail. Instead of working a high-pay, high-stress job, he did what he wanted to do. He didn’t live for pride or money, he lived for fun and I’ll always admire that about him.
- “The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago. The second best time is now.” -Chinese Proverb
- I’m looking forward to using the Honors contracts. It’s much less awkward now to ask for extra work!
- Rana Asfour, Junior
- Psychology/ Pre-med
- I would love to meet Angelina Jolie! As for author, I don’t have a particular one I am dying to meet.
- I have a very typical answer for this: my mom. When I look back at my upbringing I am thankful that she always pushed me to strive for the best and to feel like I can accomplish anything.
- “If not now, then when?” – something I live by everyday
- I am looking forward to being a part of a group of students who have a desire to expand their knowledge together and embrace the challenges the program will provide us with.
Rebecca Dowdy also joined the Honors program at mid-year.